Our heart is essential to life and there have been many studies that have been undertaken to help us learn more about its structure and the way in which it functions. For example TQT Studies like the ones at https://www.richmondpharmacology.com/specialist-services/tqt help us to check the effect of certain drugs on the interval between the heart waves.
Here are some interesting facts about the heart that you may not be aware of.
- The average heart size if the same as an adults fist
- An amazing 2,000 gallons of blood is pumped around the body by the heart every day in around 115,000 beats.
- Open-heart surgery has saved the lives of many people over the years with the first operation being conducted back in 1893 by Daniel Hale Williams in the United States.
- Whales have the largest heart in any mammal, this is due to their large overall size. In contrast the Fairy Fly has the smallest heart in any living creature.
- Females have a slightly faster heartbeat than men.
- The beating sound of your heart is a result of the valves opening and closing.
- Laughing is good for your heart as it helps to reduce stress and boosts our immune system.
- Giraffes have an oddly shaped heart as the left side is thicker than the right due to the need for the left side to get blood all the way up the giraffe’s long neck to the brain.