Whether you are looking for carpets, laminated or Engineered Wood Flooring there are a number of things that you will need to consider such as aesthetics, budget and noise. Here are some interesting facts about flooring that might help you to decide.
- Bamboo is stronger than most hardwoods which is why it is used in industrial scaffolding in Japan.
- The name carpet comes from the Latin word Carpere which means to pluck. In the past carpets would have been made from plucked fabric.
- Vinyl and Linoleum are not the same thing. Although they may look the same and the names have been used interchangeably by some there is one very subtle difference between these two flooring options. Vinyl is a synthetic product made from petroleum based chemicals and linoleum is made from natural materials such as cork, wood flour and linseed oil.
- If you are looking for flooring that will absorb sound then cork is the best option. The transmission of sound is muffled due to the tiny air spaces that are found in the cork flooring.
- Granite flooring is the hardest flooring substance to be found which is not surprising considering granite is the second hardest substance on earth, next to diamond.